Ford Fusion Energi Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering buying - any current model Fusion owners?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm 

Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering buying the Fusion Energi, or even perhaps the Fusion Hybrid if funds don't allow for the Energi version.

I am wondering if there is anyone who has owned one of the last model Fusions? (2011/2012 model)

I know the new model is drastically different, but what was the Fusion like? Did it's overall build quality and reliability leave you satisfied, or do you wish you never owned it? (which I guess wouldn't make sense because you wouldn't be on this forum)?

Post subject: Re: Considering buying - any current model Fusion owners?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am 

Not sure that the current model owners would be much help. Ford has done a total redesign of the Fusion for 2013 and everything is different. I guess perhaps the reliability of the old model Fusion would be curious, but since so much has changed, including the hybrid and battery packs etc, the 2013 Fusion Energi will be totally different ball of wax.

I owned a Fusion for a few months and it was an ok car but I wouldn't take any of that to mean anything about the new model, anymore than typical brand loyalty. If you think Ford is good, then you'll think the Fusion is good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm 

I agree - I just saw an article about the Fusion and Fusion Hybrid safety test, they got a 5 star overall, and top safety pick award from the international institute for highway safety.
The last gen of Fusion only got a 3 star frontal rating and 4 star side impact rating - not great at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:30 pm 

newatev wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering buying the Fusion Energi, or even perhaps the Fusion Hybrid if funds don't allow for the Energi version.

I am wondering if there is anyone who has owned one of the last model Fusions? (2011/2012 model)

I know the new model is drastically different, but what was the Fusion like? Did it's overall build quality and reliability leave you satisfied, or do you wish you never owned it? (which I guess wouldn't make sense because you wouldn't be on this forum)?

It's great news that you are considering buying a Fusion Energi. Though I dont own it but I'm sure someone from the Fusion Energi Forum would be able to help you with that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 pm 

I do not own the Fusion Energi, but I would definitely spend the extra money to get the plug-in version because of the energy savings you can get. The cost of electricity is much less than the price of gas, so if you can charge your car at home, you will save much more in gas than you would spend in electricity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:26 pm 

I have 100,000 miles on the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and I love the car. I will be giving it to my son and want to order a 2013 Energi Titanium as soon as possible. With the current $1500 rebate or lower financing and the $4000 (almost) tax credit, it is an easy decision.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 am 

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid which I purchased in September 2009. The car currently has 29K miles. I drive very little as I work from home. Normally I drive about 500 miles a month and I get anywhere from 500 to 550 miles from a tank of gas, so I only get to visit the gas station about once a month and I usually spend about $45 to $50 per fill up.

The car has been very reliable and very cheap to maintain. I had only two really minor problems, a weather stripping came loose from the rear window and the horn has failed a couple of times... both problems were fixed under warranty. By the way, the car is still under factory warranty because I purchased ESP for 4 years/48000 miles. Looking in retrospect I should not have bought it, but at the time it gave me peace of mind buying a car with so much new technology on it. As for maintenance items, I have only done 3 oil changes/tire rotations for a total of under $100.

I think that the maintenance cost is one of the things that gets ignored in the equation of buying a hybrid vs. a gas car. Oil changes are not as frequent as well as all other things related to the wear of the engine. I would venture to say that my engine has beeb off at least 30% of the drive time and this helps a lot in the wear and tear of the engine. The brakes on the hybrid are used to stop the car only the last few MPH, or under very heavy braking which is not often, most of the time the car is slowed down by the electric motor. I don't know what the suggested interveal is change the pads and rotors, but I would say that it is a lot longer than a regular gas vehicle.

Last week I ordered a Fusion Energi Titanium, still don't have confirmation from the dealer that the order was accepted, so I really don't know when I will arrive, but I'm really looking forward to purchasing it. I hope that I will only get gas every 3 to 4 months. My daily drive consist of taking the kids to soccer/ballet and then going to the gym, less than 10 miles a day for sure. Weekends I get to drive a lot more going to soccer tournament with my son sometimes as far as 30 miles each way. I live in Miami and I have not seen a single public charging station (I seen one at a Chevy dealer charging a Volt).

Hope this helps!

Regards,
APM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am 

apm wrote:
I think that the maintenance cost is one of the things that gets ignored in the equation of buying a hybrid vs. a gas car. Oil changes are not as frequent as well as all other things related to the wear of the engine. I would venture to say that my engine has beeb off at least 30% of the drive time and this helps a lot in the wear and tear of the engine. The brakes on the hybrid are used to stop the car only the last few MPH, or under very heavy braking which is not often, most of the time the car is slowed down by the electric motor. I don't know what the suggested interveal is change the pads and rotors, but I would say that it is a lot longer than a regular gas vehicle.
Hope this helps!

Regards,
APM

That is very true, but I'm sure that most oil change shops would still put you on the same oil change schedule. But if you have a lot of short trips (which you do), then you would have a lot of only-electric driving without the motor ever kicking on. I did a little searching, but I couldn't find the maintenance intervals for the Fusion Energi. Has anyone seen them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:41 am 

zackreynolds wrote:
That is very true, but I'm sure that most oil change shops would still put you on the same oil change schedule. But if you have a lot of short trips (which you do), then you would have a lot of only-electric driving without the motor ever kicking on. I did a little searching, but I couldn't find the maintenance intervals for the Fusion Energi. Has anyone seen them?

This is from the 2013 Fusion Hybrid/Energi Manual:

Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid vehicles
are equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life
MonitorĀ® (IOLM) system which displays a
message in the information display at the
proper oil change service interval. The
interval may be up to two years or 20000
miles (32000 kilometers). When ENGINE
OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE
REQUIRED appears in the information
display, it is time for an oil change; the oil
change must be done within two weeks or
500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE
OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE
REQUIRED message appearing. The
Intelligent Oil-Life MonitorĀ® must be reset
after each oil change.

Fusion Energi
At every oil change interval as indicated by the information display.1, 2
Change engine oil and filter.3
Inspect automatic transmission fluid level. Consult dealer for requirements.
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
Inspect cabin air filter.
Inspect engine cooling system and motor/electronics cooling system strength and
hoses.
Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
Inspect half-shaft boots.
Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and tie-rod ends.
Inspect wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
1 Do not exceed two years or 20000 miles (32000 kilometers) between service intervals.
2 Perform multi-point inspection (recommended).
3 Reset the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system after each engine oil and filter change. See
Engine Oil Check (page 252).
Scheduled Maintenance
Additional Maintenance Items 1
Rotate tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
Every 10000 miles (16000
km) Inspect engine oil filter for corrosion. 2
Perform multi-point inspection (recommended).
Every 20000 miles (32000 Replace cabin air filter.
km)
Every 30000 miles (48000 Replace engine air filter.
km)
At 100000 miles (160000 Change engine coolant and motor/electronics coolant. 3
km)
Every 100000 miles Replace spark plugs.
(160000 km)
Every 150000 miles Change automatic transmission fluid.
(240000 km)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm 

2 years or 20,000 miles is a heck of an oil-change interval. If you compare that to a 3 mon / 3000 mile interval and $40 per oil change, you're looking at a $280 savings in oil changes alone. That's another good selling point for the Fusion Energi.