Ford Fusion Energi Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ford Fusion Energi (20-Mile Electric Car) A Volt Competitor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:04 am 

As far as we know, not a single auto journalist has yet driven the upcoming plug-in hybrid Energi models of the 2013 Ford C-Max and 2013 Ford Fusion.

But an interesting and illuminating post on HybridCars.com offers more details about those cars' electric capabilities than we'd seen to date.

It led us to wonder whether the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi will actually prove to be the most direct competitor yet for the Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car. Here's why.

The author, noted hybrid-car authority Brad Berman, corrects his previous assumption--which many of us shared--that the plug-in versions of Ford's newest-generation hybrids would operate the same way as the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid.

That is, the plug-in Prius runs on electricity up to 51 mph for 6 to 11 miles--but only under light loads and gentle acceleration.

Mash the throttle on a fast uphill freeway on-ramp, and the Prius Plug-In's 60-kilowatt (80-horsepower) electric motor hasn't a hope of providing the needed acceleration.

So even if there's 10 miles or more of electric range showing on the car's multi-information display, the engine switches on and both engine and electric motor contribute torque to motivate the car as needed.

Ford, it turns out, has taken a different approach, one that makes more aggressive use of pure electric driving, using an electric motor of so-far unspecified output. Ford expects the EPA to rate total electric range at about 20 miles.

(While Berman's article discusses the plug-in hybrid system in the C-Max Energi, not the Fusion Energi, we expect the two cars to use identical powertrains and operate the same.)
Ford's Energi plug-in hybrids offer up to 20 miles of electric range, as well as all-electric operation at up to 85 miles per hour.

The plug-in hybrid system gives drivers three different modes of control for electric driving: "EV:Auto" lets the car optimize efficiency by switching among electric and hybrid modes as needed, "EV:Later" conserves electric range by running the Energi cars solely as hybrids, and "EV:Now" runs the Energi models solely on electric power.

(Ford, quite properly, notes that running at high speeds solely on electricity drastically cuts that 20-mile all-electric range.)

With that in mind, we wonder if Ford has designed its plug-in hybrids to line up neatly against both of the highest-volume vehicles in the segment.
Here's how the Fusion Energi compares to the Volt:

SIZE: The Volt is a compact four-seat hatchback, while the Fusion Energi is a more spacious mid-size four-door sedan with five seats.
RANGE: The Volt gets up to 40 electric miles (at a wide variety of speeds), the Fusion Energi gets up to 20 miles (at lower speeds)
PRICE: The 2013 Volt starts at $39,995 and buyers are eligible for a $7,500 tax rebate, while the Fusion Energi hasn't been priced but qualifies for a $3,750 rebate.

Post subject: Re: Ford Fusion Energi (20-Mile Electric Car) A Volt Competi
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:29 pm 

I love that people still compare this to the Volt. The Volt is a fun car, don't get me wrong. But, the price point between the two isn't that much - even with the Volt's price coming down.

Still, seeing American made cars in this kind of discussion is encouraging. We vote with our wallets. It'd be nice to see us get more technology like this one the market.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 am 

StanTheMan wrote:
I love that people still compare this to the Volt. The Volt is a fun car, don't get me wrong. But, the price point between the two isn't that much - even with the Volt's price coming down.

Still, seeing American made cars in this kind of discussion is encouraging. We vote with our wallets. It'd be nice to see us get more technology like this one the market.

I agree and I hope that more of American car manufacturers are going to decide to go all-electric(I'm pretty sure that Ford has something in the works).It would mean so much for the human progress in general

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 am 

StanTheMan wrote:

I think they don't consider price when comparing Fusion Energi to volt. I think both the cars are great.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:04 am 

I agree with you all, here. And I think StanTheMan makes a good point. "We vote with our wallets."

We kind of do don't we? Reviews and forums like the Fusion Energi Forum are one thing, but actually going out to buy a Ford Fusion Energi, a C-Max Energi, Chevy Volt, or other EV. Vote with our wallets...I like it.

When car manufactures look at what they're building, they no doubt look at over all sales to determine their next options with the vehicle and the venture.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:39 am 

If car manufacturers don't, the media certainly does! They talk all about the amount of sales per quarter, per year, etc. It's a gauging point and I guess it makes sense. As a business person, I suppose I'd plan my products on how many I sold.

If EVs like the Ford Fusion Energi can make a discernible margin for car companies, hopefully they'd do more to make them affordable, too.