Ford Fusion Energi Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EPA to Review Ford Fusion and C-Max Hybrid Efficiency Claims
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:37 pm 

Following the very negative review given to the Ford Fusion Energi and C-Max hybrids, by Consumer Reports regarding their claimed efficiency figures which just weren`t realistic in real world driving conditions, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has announced that it will be reviewing the figures.

Ford claims that both hybrid models can average 47 mpg (5.00 l/100km), yet the Consumer Reports reviewer never even got close to that figure, with the Fusion achieving 39 mpg (6.03 l/100km), which represents a 17% discrepancy, while the C-Max fared even worse, averaging 37 mpg (6.35 l/100km), which is 21% down.

It seems that it is a trend for manufacturers to now overstate their ‘green’ cars’ efficiency numbers, because as it was discussed here, people buy cars based on irrelevant ad campaigns and fuel efficiency numbers, and if both of those are good, than as an automaker selling hybrids, you are set!

This doesn`t make the Fusion and C-Max hybrids worse cars, because both are still excellent and class-leading in every respect, but Ford's credibility will not get through this unscathed.
More news in Fusion Energi Forum.

Post subject: Re: EPA to Review Ford Fusion and C-Max Hybrid Efficiency Cl
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 pm 

So what was the result? I'm sure that Fusion Energi will be cleared of the accusations but still any official news?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am 

carcrazy wrote:
So what was the result? I'm sure that Fusion Energi will be cleared of the accusations but still any official news?

Well things like these aren't anything real serious in the industry and Fusion Energi doesn't need to be cleared of anything it's just that numbers will be corrected that is all.

This stuff is actually really common in the car industry especially in the last few years that buyers have been really paying attention at consumtion numbers.

And besides EPA only tests 15% of all vehicles and it's random so a lot of manufacturers take the risk of being accused of such foul play

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 pm 

Daniel wrote:
carcrazy wrote:

Well things like these aren't anything real serious in the industry and Fusion Energi doesn't need to be cleared of anything it's just that numbers will be corrected that is all.

This stuff is actually really common in the car industry especially in the last few years that buyers have been really paying attention at consumtion numbers.

And besides EPA only tests 15% of all vehicles and it's random so a lot of manufacturers take the risk of being accused of such foul play

Well I wouldn't say that the matter is all that unimportant as you say because it is, if nothing else, a stain on the reputation of the Fusion Energi's track sheet that buyers certainly pay attention to...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 am 

cosby wrote:
Daniel wrote:
carcrazy wrote:

Well I wouldn't say that the matter is all that unimportant as you say because it is, if nothing else, a stain on the reputation of the Fusion Energi's track sheet that buyers certainly pay attention to...

well yes but it's not like Fusion Energi is in a race for buyers, I'm pretty sure that everybody who planned to buy Fusion Energi is going to go ahead and do the purchase even with this news. Now if Fusion Energi was competing in a competitive market in which a consumer has many choices of EVs then Energi might have been at a loss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 pm 

Well Tesla S, Chevy Volt and Cadillac ELR are a competition to Fusion, so I wouldn't be so certain of that...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:32 am 

cosby wrote:
Well Tesla S, Chevy Volt and Cadillac ELR are a competition to Fusion, so I wouldn't be so certain of that...

They kinda are but kind of aren't if you checkout the prices of Tesla S and Cadillac ELR they are significantly higher then Ford Fusion's, only Chevy Volt is in the discussion price wise. But only price wise because quality wise Fusion Energi blows the Volt out of the water.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 pm 

I thought it was proved that Fusion Energi's claim was correct and the matter closed ages ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:17 am 

rob wrote:
I thought it was proved that Fusion Energi's claim was correct and the matter closed ages ago.

I never heard of that, do you have a link perhaps?

It would be great if it turns out that the Ford's claims are correct regarding Fusion Energi numbers but I think that the discrepancy is going to be present no matter what due to the conditions while testing.

Namely EPA make every condition optimal for the car while the consumer reports probably doesn't, but I could be wrong here.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:55 pm 

cosby wrote:
rob wrote:

I never heard of that, do you have a link perhaps?

It would be great if it turns out that the Ford's claims are correct regarding Fusion Energi numbers but I think that the discrepancy is going to be present no matter what due to the conditions while testing.

Namely EPA make every condition optimal for the car while the consumer reports probably doesn't, but I could be wrong here.

EVs in general are pretty unpredictable when it comes to battery efficiency and durability so it's pretty hard to make objective tests that can make a perfect evaluation of a cars efficacy of battery.