Ford Fusion Energi Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: considering competing PHEVs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm 

Hi - when I trade in my leased Leaf in about a year, I plan either to hold out for leasing a longer range BEV or (perhaps more likely) financing the purchase of a used PHEV. A Volt seems likely, but I was wondering if anyone here could offer their views as to pros and cons comparing the Fusion Energi versus the Volt. The used market in Fusion Energi is not as robust yet, so I would have to pay a higher price, but other than that:

Volt more cramped in back seat... less comfortable for rear passengers?
Fusion Energi lower all-EV miles.
How fast can a person go in the FE before the gasoline engine kicks on?
Are there battery degradation issues for the Fusion Energi in hot climates like Arizona (where I am)? Can I confirm the battery is air cooled? This would probably be a big negative, as the Volt battery is liquid cooled and I'm guessing likely to hold up better to the conditions around here.

Post subject: Re: considering competing PHEVs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:01 pm 

I would definitely go with the volt...fusion battery is air cooled...and I have had nothing but problems with ford and service..and I only have my energi 3 months....wish i would have went with the volt..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:51 pm 

mpiacc wrote:
I would definitely go with the volt...fusion battery is air cooled...and I have had nothing but problems with ford and service..and I only have my energi 3 months....wish i would have went with the volt..

Ok, thanks for the points.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:40 pm 

Hi all:

Any further feedback on the rear seat legroom or other points?

I am only a few weeks away from turning in my Leaf. For now, I can go for awhile without getting another car (I have an old Ford Contour working properly that I will use in the meantime) but eventually want to get into another PEV as an everyday driver.

I saw a conventional Fusion the other day and like the look of it, as compared to the C-Max Energi. However, the rear set legroom issue continues to be a concern for the kids as they get older and much taller. Can any Fusion Energi owners comment on this issue that is important to my buying decision? I have gone to a Ford lot and sat in the back a couple of times. I guess rear seat legroom in the C-Max Energi seemed ok by today's standards (which is to say not-great, but maybe acceptable within my budget). Fusion Energi for some reason I have difficulty remembering properly (was more focused on the C-Max Energi) but I think maybe better than a Volt on this point.

I haven't sat in a Volt rear seat, but going by the discussions, it didn't seem necessary. Still, I'll probably try it for reference. I would also like to consider a used Accord PHEV and a Prius PHEV on this point, but there are probably none around Tucson (even new) to look at.

I do think the RAV4 EV has wonderful rear legroom, but for a couple of reasons including budget it is not presently my leading option.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:52 pm 

I have to go with Volt above Fusion. The initial 40 or 50 miles is pure electric, no gas engine involved. I have a Focus Electric and two Volts and when the lease ends on the Focus, replacement will be another Volt unless the promised 200 mile class EVs are available.

RAV4 is a really good car, friends have one. Sadly it is no longer sold and is poorly supported by Toyota and Tesla.

And yes, Fusion battery is air cooled, Volt is liquid cooled. I don't know about Fusion battery fade, but the Focus has dropped considerably over 2 years and 48,000 miles. There have been few if any reports of Volt battery fade, but it's hard to be sure...for a long time nobody on the myfocuselectric board was seeing fade, and now it's becoming apparent as the cars age.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:27 pm 

michael wrote:
I have to go with Volt above Fusion. The initial 40 or 50 miles is pure electric, no gas engine involved. I have a Focus Electric and two Volts and when the lease ends on the Focus, replacement will be another Volt unless the promised 200 mile class EVs are available.

RAV4 is a really good car, friends have one. Sadly it is no longer sold and is poorly supported by Toyota and Tesla.

And yes, Fusion battery is air cooled, Volt is liquid cooled. I don't know about Fusion battery fade, but the Focus has dropped considerably over 2 years and 48,000 miles. There have been few if any reports of Volt battery fade, but it's hard to be sure...for a long time nobody on the myfocuselectric board was seeing fade, and now it's becoming apparent as the cars age.

Hi Michael - I like a lot of your points as being very helpful, but to the rear legroom question, although I would love to get a Volt, and it's possible that I will cast aside my concerns and do so, I still consider the lack of sufficient back seat legroom to be an absolutely fatal flaw and worse (for my own personal buying purposes) than any concern about the competition's battery fade or low range. I'm still dismayed that Chevy to some extent, in terms of overall sales numbers, grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory by apparently not wanting to appeal strongly to families and needlessly declining to put their excellent and durable powertrain into a vehicle with plenty of backseat room.