Ford Fusion Energi Forum

It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2013 Ford Fusion rated at 25/37 MPG, Hybrid gets 47 MPG
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 am 

The EPA posted fuel economy numbers for the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi in front-wheel-drive, all-wheel-drive and hybrid flavors, but they were quickly removed from certain parts of the FuelEconomy.gov website. Car and Driver snagged the numbers before they disappeared, however, and it makes for fine reading.

It's a toss-up nowadays as to whether an automatic or manual will get the ultimate economy, but the best numbers among the conventional Fusion powertrains are the 25 city / 37 highway miles per gallon returned by the six-speed-manual-equipped FWD Fusion with the 179-horsepower 1.6-liter EcoBoost motor. Numbers for the six-speed automatic are right behind, at 23 city / 36 highway.

Dropping nine horsepower and a turbocharger will get you price but not efficiency gains, with the 170-hp naturally-aspirated 2.5-liter four doing 22 city / 34 hwy. In the other direction, that's one small mpg away from the 22 hwy / 33 city to be had by the 237-hp 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder. Add all-wheel drive to the equation and pay a 2-mpg penalty, with the 237-hp motor doing 22 city / 31 hwy when turning all four wheels.

Of course the hybrid Fusion killed it, getting 47 city and 47 hwy. That is only bested by the 2012 Toyota Prius C and Prius, ties the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid and beats the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid. Among its competitors, the Fusion is in the mosh pit with the 2012 Toyota Camry's 25 city / 35 hwy, the Honda Accord's 27 city / 37 hwy and the Chevrolet Malibu's 22 city / 34 hwy, with just the sedan-surfing Nissan Altima jumping out at 27 city / 38 hwy.
News Source: EPA via Car and Driver

Post subject: Re: 2013 Ford Fusion rated at 25/37 MPG, Hybrid gets 47 MPG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am 

Hi,
You wrote that Ford Fusion Energi is rated at 25/37 MPG. Now I understand the concept of MPG but i didn't get the concept of expressing it is 25/37. Could you please explain?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm 

energifan wrote:
Hi,
You wrote that Ford Fusion Energi is rated at 25/37 MPG. Now I understand the concept of MPG but i didn't get the concept of expressing it is 25/37. Could you please explain?

That rating is for City / Highway miles per gallon, so for the Fusion Energi, the rating is 25 MPG for city driving, and 37 MPG on the highway (unless of course, we're talking about a congested highway in LA 8-) ).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:14 pm 

leetlezee wrote:
energifan wrote:
Hi,

That rating is for City / Highway miles per gallon, so for the Fusion Energi, the rating is 25 MPG for city driving, and 37 MPG on the highway (unless of course, we're talking about a congested highway in LA 8-) ).

Than you for clarifying. After reading this news on Ford Fusion Energi I tried to find out the information but I failed so I put up this question in Fusion Energi Forum- I knew someone would know it. Thanks once again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:38 am 

What seems a little weird to me is that the MPGs are not significantly higher for the hybrid cars than some of the import sedans (Accord, Altima)--unless of course they're doing short trips on electric-only--which really only helps the MPG if you plug it in at home. So it seems to me if you really want to save on gas, you really should be looking at plug-in hybrids, like the Ford Fusion Energi.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am 

leetlezee wrote:
What seems a little weird to me is that the MPGs are not significantly higher for the hybrid cars than some of the import sedans (Accord, Altima)--unless of course they're doing short trips on electric-only--which really only helps the MPG if you plug it in at home. So it seems to me if you really want to save on gas, you really should be looking at plug-in hybrids, like the Ford Fusion Energi.

Yeah, where you really get into savings is when you can get energy directly from the grid, because it costs much less than producing in the car through running the motor. So the more the Ford Fusion Energi is used as a plug-in electric car, the better the fuel economy that will be achieved.